Saturday, June 23, 2007

Apartment Hunting

I'm trying to find a new apartment that's bigger and cheaper than my current one. I know, in New York City, nearly impossible, but only nearly and that's the hope I hold on to. But apartment hunting in New York is like being selected as a juror for a high profile case. What do you do? How much do you make? Who will live there? When was the last time you called your grandmother? Do you have allergies? How do you feel about strawberries? Can you make a deposit of one of your kidneys? Now, it makes sense to a certain degree, there are people who move into apartments knowing they can't pay rent and eviction is a long process. But as social worker, I also know this is such a small minority that such presumptions in an application process are actually quite unnecessary.

Then again as a recent graduate, I also know that such presumptions can be the difference between moving into a new place by August 1st or continuing to pay an arm and a leg in an apartment that didn't ask so many questions (it is really nice, pretty big, close to transportation and stores, BUT immensely expensive). I'm a recent graduate, you want to see my W-2 forms you say-that's fine, they say I made $13, 000 last year. Why? Oh, because I was in school dickwad, I could only work but so much in addition to classes and a 21 hour internship. Do you make over 40k? Not yet. Why not? Oh, because I was in school dickwad, and since I just graduated I'm in the process of transitioning from a decent paying part time job to a more decent paying full time job. Do you have a co-signor that makes over 80k? No way-*Chuckle, chuckle* Why not? Oh, because I was in school dickwad, but most of my family has not. Nor were they in school much in high school and therefore they have lived most of their lives busting their asses for wages that really don't match all the work, sweat, and tears they put into the system. Any more questions???

Last pet peeve in apartment hunting-looking at ads that are listed as "by owner only" (therefore intimating no brokers and no brokers fee) and having to talk through a 'middle man or woman' who somehow needs to be paid a month of rent in order to help you. Is this not similar to a broker? Is this not a dishonest practice? Should I not curse them out and send them to hell when I feel that I have been deceived? Just some questions I would like answers to.

But, alas, thus is the struggle of the New York City apartment hunter and I'll keep you posted on my progress, but if anyone has any suggestions or leads as to where I should be looking, I'm open to hearing them...

3 comments:

Journey_Wmn said...

just wondering how many times you could use the word dickwad in one post? lol

I really hate the income guidelines for students!

: said...

lol...journeywmn beat me to the punch! I was counting the 'dickwads' as well! I don't know about you journeywmn, but i lost at six! Sounds like it is a fun, fun experience! I guess I'll stick to my burbian living for now. I'll keep an ear to the ground for you...I knows some people in the boogie down that have places to rent...

: said...

Ok, i must retract, i only saw three (maybe four) dickwads!!!!