Wednesday, October 25, 2006

the criminal INjustice System

People sometimes wonder why or how anyone could fear the police. "they're there to protect you; they just want to make society safe; their hearts are in the right place" And then I look at my client who is about 50 years old and speaks no English, who's chronically sick with two diseases I won't name for confidentiality reasons, who shows me bruise after disgusting bruise on his body after being incarcerated for a weekend. His charged sin-possibly attacking a police officer, his real sin-being monolingual in a non-dominant language, being brown, being poor and welfare dependant, living in a 'bad' neighborhood, you name them, he's probably guilty... as I read his charges, i want to scream, I want to scream because I know those who have sworn to serve and protect, will only serve you an ass whipping and protect their societal investments in whatever way they see fit, i know that this man who has no record and is smaller than I am (I'm 5'4), could no sooner whoop a police officer's ass than could he fly. I know that his injuries are thankfully non-threatening, but have scarred his sense of safety, trust, and calm, I know that he is embarassed each and every time he has to tell this story and share his wounds, I know that he is angry and scared, I know that he wants and needs justice, I know he will likely not get it--and I know he won't be the last...

3 comments:

Journey_Wmn said...

We already discussed this over the phone, and it's so screwed up the way this poor man is about to be railroaded. Well fight the power!!!

brownfemipower said...

amen. i found your site via jrnywmn--as a fellow latina--i sign your praises and send you lots of latina love. we will change this fucked up system, if only one person at a time...

: said...

very powerful statement; I wish I could say I couldn't identify; I've seen those bruises on my brother, on my mother; inflicted by perhaps the very same protectors...